On November 16th, SOA Watch converged at the US/Mexico border in Ambos
Nogales for our 3rd Border Encuentro to dismantle border imperialism. We thank all of you who joined us in Nogales and held concurrent actions around the world!
Dismantle Border Imperialism! Struggle, Create, Power to the People!
View the program
Click here to view this video on Vimeo
- An end to US economic, military and political intervention in Latin America, and the closure of SOA/WHINSEC
- An end to Plan Merida and the Alliance for Prosperity
- Demilitarization and divestment of borders
- An end to the racist systems of oppression that criminalize and kill migrants, refugees and communities of color
- Respect, dignity, justice and the right to self-determination of communities
Plan Merida and the Alliance for Prosperity are both US policies that seek to further militarize Mexico and the northern region of Central America respectively, to purportedly confront the so-called Drug War, and contain mass displacement from the region, but instead have led to more human rights violations. The legal and illegal US gun trade is devastating migrants in Mexico who are fleeing US-supported drug wars in Central America and Mexican communities, who are experiencing more gun homicides this year than ever. SOA Watch has partnered with the Stop US Arms to Mexico project of Global Exchange to build a movement to end the US-Mexico Merida Initiative and weapons trade.
Photos of the Encuentro: